Monday, January 15, 2007

The Red Carpet

I'm here watching the Golden Globe awards and I just watched Martin Scorcese win an award for Best Director for The Departed. I absolutely detested the movie and in my opinion, the movie could not even light a candle compared to the original Infernal Affairs. I could not finish the movie although I did try. It did not have the same intensity, generate the same excitement or have quite the same passion as Infernal.

I went to Rotten Tomatoes to see critiques' reviews and I was shocked to see "92% Fresh" - how can it be "fresh" if it was an imitation (a poor one at that) of an existing film. There was no originality and completely lacked "spirit" . For those who said The Departed was a fabulous film, I suggest that they watch Infernal Affairs (although it would be in Cantonese with subtitles). The acting in The Departed was good I can admit, but this love triangle is completely unbelievable, the lack of development between these characters was a major weakness in the movie. In the nutshell, I just didn't feel it.

No comments: