Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Southern Belles

Incredible. I have never lived in a place where women dress up to go to the grocery store. I've heard that it is difficult to make female friends here, now I know why. The women here are all in competition with each other! You cannot walk out of your apartment or house in "comfortable" clothes. People will wonder what is wrong.

I went out Saturday night, and I can't honestly say I was all "decked out", but it was decent (how does one go wrong with jeans?). I walked past the lobby where there were 3 girls waiting for their ride (or whatever), short skirts, skimpy top, high heels (alright, I know you boys are thinking that there's nothing wrong with that) ... it was COLD that night! So as I walked pass, I was going to be neighbourly and say "hi", but one of them gave me such a dirty look I got scared (well not really). So I'm thin (and she not so much), but seriously. Either that or she was giving me a look for my oh so simple outfit. Guess the yellow biker-style leather jacket isn't "in" in the South.

The outfit of the night was this chick in a SUPER short (and I mean so short you can literally see up her ass without bending over) skirt. She must have forgotten to look into a mirror. Where were her friends (at least I have that excuse...haha). Apparently I was not the only one who noticed her skanky outfit - another female, obviously not from the South by her accent, was also making the same comment to her bf as I was to my friend. So we got to chatting and I voiced my disbelief. She completely agreed and says it's difficult at first if you want to make female friends - "you can't walk out without feeling like you're competiting". We swapped contacts at the end of the night - maybe I'm on my way to making some more female friends.

I must admit though, there are a lot of pretty females here - especially blondes. People here are good looking, I guess if you're a female it's hard not to feel intimidated/insecure by those around you...I guess I'll just have to play my exotic card. Hahaha....

I've also discovered something about myself this week - I like sunflowers!

No comments: