Saturday, August 25, 2007

Bombing in Hyderabad

Well, here I am sitting in my hotel room after a short night of clubbing at Speed in Chennai. The clubs usually close at about 1am, but tonight was different. Around 11:30pm, the lights went up - the party was closing down. Dozens of confused faces looked up at the DJ while we all stopped dancing to the techno-house beats. I am no longer in Bangalore where clubs close at 11:30pm. What was going on?

A quick search on my BlackBerry revealed that there were two bombs that went off in Hyderabad and so the whole country is on national alert. Two bombs went off killing several dozens of people, while 2 were diffused. Apparently there are 14 more bombs left to be diffused in the city. I can't imagine what the Muslims are going through now as I think about my Muslim friends in the States and back home in Toronto.

The Americans keep on bringing up 9/11, but stuff like that happen in this part of the world all the time. It doesn't make it "normal". The severity is the same...yet people keep on talking about 9/11 like it was yesterday and breeze through the news of bombings over in the Middle East and the like. I wonder if that can be classified as a form of terrorism? Is ignorance a form of terrorism? There's a thought.

No comments: