Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Public Transportation

So I'm resorted to taking public transportation now because the car is in need of a lot TLC. So here's my yucky morning on my first public transportation in a long time (not including subway):

6:30am: Wake up - that was brutal. I got cleaned, dressed, said hi to the dog, packed lightly (meaning no laptop or heavy course kits)

7:05am: Left the house, 5 minute walk to the YRT bus stop, which is ok, a little exercise. Waited at the bus stop on Bayview and Briggs.

7:20am: It shows up 10 minutes later, late. I get on, pay $2.75 (wow, it went up 50 cents last time I took it), it moves at 30km/hr and I'm here thinking I'm going to miss my connection at 7:40am.

7:35am: Finally the bus gets to the transfer point at Bayview and John (note - this distance is literally a 5 minute drive in a car...), I get out (remembering to ask for a transfer ticket) then crossed the street to the other side.

7:40am: A bus with York U shows up, I ask to be sure, he says no, sign is wrong (then you should change it darn it!).

7:45am: 3B shows up - this one actually goes to York U. I hop in showing my transfer ticket - I think I was supposed to add another dollar for a new zone or something but I didn't because he didn't ask. I sit on the bus, did my readings so that was a plus. The bus continues on some weird route but I don't care, as long as it gets to York U. On the way to the school, the bus did a completely USELESS loop wasting 3 minutes of my life (lets face it, this bus trip wasted an hour so I guess the 3 minutes was negligible).

8:28am: Bus stops at York U (class starts at 8:30am)

8:33am: Get to class --- for once he starts on time (great)

So that was my morning. There are some plus and minuses of course, but seriously, lets do the math.

Bus:
Round trip tickets: $3.75 each way x 2 = $7.50 (holy sh*t)
4 trips per week = $23/week
4 weeks = $23x4 = $92

Car:
I fill the tank up every 1.5 weeks - 2 weeks, average fill is $35~$40
Twice a week = $70~$80/4 weeks
Parking = 440/4 months = 110/month
4 weeks total cost = $180

Parking's the killer, if I could get parking back, it's cheaper to drive, saves lots of time, less cold and is more convenient. Mind you, I drive to other places too so the gas allocation is not just for driving to school. So lets say 50/50, which means 4 week cost is approx. $130. Of course, it's not environmentally friendly and I can't read. Technically speaking, parking is a sunk cost so I should take the bus...but time and cold...and sleep...

The alternative is to wait for a cheap head to go on sale then buy it...in the meantime there is a cheap car for sale, I think I can bargain it down to $100-$200, but it's a 1990 Mazda and who knows how long that will run or how safe it is to drive...it is cheaper than renting a car...

No comments: